Blessed are the peacemakers…Matthew 5:9
Saratoga Peace Week is just around the corner.
It has been such a crazy year and it feels like we can all use this time to come together to support each other, learn more and share ideas and get reenergized for continued work in this broken and violent world.
Whether you want to set up a table or just come to participate, be sure to Mark your Calendars Now!
Saratoga Peace Week kicks off on September 21-27. Here is a list of events:
Wed, Sept 21: UN International Day of Peace & the Saratoga Peace Week begins
Thur, Sept 22: Empty Bowl Event @ 11:30 am – 1:30 pm – $15/bowl
- Purchase a handmade bowl for $15 to support the dinner program at the Senior Center and Food Pantry at Franklin Community Center.
- Includes, soup, salad, beverage, dessert and live music!
- Location: Saratoga Senior Center, 5 Williams St., Saratoga Springs, 12866
Fri, Sept 23: Children at the Well presents Youth Storytelling for Peace & Understanding @ 6:00 pm
- Learn about their new book: One Path to World Peace: Youth Storytelling
- Time: 6pm
- Location: Northshire Bookstore, 424 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, 12866
Sun, 9/25: Saratoga Peace Fair & Concert to End Gun Violence @ 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Featured performers include Taina Asili, Tonya Abernathy, Slate Hill, Dan Berggren and more.
- Fair showcases 50 exhibits promoting peace through demilitarization, environmental stewardship and fair trade.
- Food vendors, live music, family friendly activities and drumming workshop.
- Location: Presbyterian New England Congregational Church, 24 Circular St, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
We welcome Exhibitors!
- Letter writing campaigns
- Ideas to promote peace
- Mission opportunities
- Share what your organization is doing to promote peace and justice!
Churches and worshipping communities part of the Albany Presbytery can exhibit for FREE! Sign up at: http://www.peace-ing.org (Deadline is September 18, 2016)
Tues, 9/27: International Peacemaker, Dianet Martinez from Cuba @ 7:00 pm, Location TBD
- Serves as chairperson of an ecumenical organization of young people whose mission is to provide spaces for leadership training, critical reflection, and service.
Saratoga Peace Fair/Week offers a variety of informative and entertaining programs that celebrate, educate and motivate folks to find their path to promoting peace.
A coalition of Saratoga organizations makes up the Saratoga Peace Week Steering Committee including:
- The Presbyterian New England Congregational Church
- Saratogians for Gun Safety
- Albany Presbytery
- Veterans for Peace
- Women Against War
Elizabeth Meehan is a teacher and a member of the Presbyterian and New England Congregational Church in Saratoga Springs. She is also a member of the Albany Presbytery Peacemaking Task Force. Elizabeth chairs the Steering Committee for the Annual Saratoga Peace Week. She may be contacted at Emeehan@nycap.rr.com.
The purpose of the Albany Presbytery Blog is to share information, tell stories, and promote the mission and ministry of the presbytery, synod and beyond. While the breadth of this medium is intentionally broad, it is not a platform for opinion pieces related to business coming before the presbytery unless designed as part of an initiative to provide a diversity of viewpoints at the direction of the presbytery council. Exceptions to this policy may be brought to the presbytery officers who will determine appropriateness of submissions.