Guatemala Partnership Task Force
Chair: Rev. Kathy Gorman-Coombs
When hearing about the Albany Presbytery/Mam Presbytery partnership, people often ask, “What do you mean by partnership? Why not just do mission trips?” But working in partnership with our brothers and sisters in Guatemala is so much more than “doing mission”…it is about relationship, about learning more about God as we learn more about each other. The work of bringing together 3 cultures (ours—mainstream Guatemalan—and Mam) and 3 languages is incredibly more challenging than one might imagine. In fact, on human terms alone—it would not have been remotely possible. But with God’s help, and the interceding of the Spirit—amazing things happen.
Guatemala Partnership Thanks You for Working with Us in Aiding those Affected by Natural Disasters in Guatemala & Elsewhere
Read more in this article: Thank You! Results of Combined PDA/Guatemala Water Filter Offering by Kathy Gorman-Coombs
Events have included:
Women Learning Together in Guatemala: Domestic Violence Conference
- Women Learning Together in Guatemala: Day 1 Domestic Violence Conference by Kathy Gorman-Coombs
- Women Learning Together in Guatemala: Day 1-2 Domestic Violence Conference by Kathy Gorman-Coombs
- Women Learning Together in Guatemala: Day 2-3 Domestic Violence Conference by Kathy Gorman-Coombs
An official Visit from Mission Co-workers in Guatemala in April 2017
2016 Delegation – New Partnership Agreement
An official “delegation” attended the January 2016 Mam Presbytery meeting and together to embrace a new partnership agreement. Read the blog articles from that trip:
- PCUSA Guatemala Partnership Network Conference Report January 29th-Feb 1 in Guatemala City, Guatemala
- An Update from our Delegation in Guatemala by Bonnie M. Orth
- Update #2 from our Delegation in Guatemala by Donna Elia
- Update #3 from our Delegation in Guatemala by Kathy Gorman-Coombs
- Update #4 from our Delegation in Guatemala by Kathy Gorman-Coombs
- Update #5 from our Delegation in Guatemala by Kathy Gorman-Coombs
- Jump Ropes & Coloring Books: Update from Guatemala by Kate Kotfila
- One Slice of Guatemala: Update #2 by Kate Kotfila
- Guatemala Mission Reflection: February 2016 by Bonnie M. Orth
Mutual Youth Retreat – 2015
- A Mutual Youth Retreat, where youth gathered for Bible study, fellow ship, and worship, and also joined together in delivering Eco filters (water filters) to people in the Quiche community, another indigenous group, filters that had been provided through gifts from Albany Presbytery congregation.
Mutual Women’s Retreat
- A Mutual Women’s Retreat between women of the Mam Presbytery and Women of Albany Presbytery (in July 2014), where we explored together what it means to be a woman of faith, and learned some things about Domestic Violence, a problem that is present in both our cultures.
Future events in the works are:
- Bringing some Guatemalans here for a Presbytery meeting.
- A Men’s Mission Trip – Needed to be rescheduled. Contact us for more details.
Ongoing work we are doing to connect through the year:
- Sharing children’s artwork, through photographs taken and shared by e-mail and on Facebook (to participate, please send us an e-mail)
- Shared scripture lessons and prayers on World Communion Sunday.
- To participate in this, check back at this website in the next few weeks.
- Praying for one another, individually and at Presbytery meetings and other gatherings.
- Offering an “Eco filter” for use at Albany Presbytery churches, along with a Renewal of Baptism liturgy, to highlight this ministry and remind us all of how significant an issue clean pure water is for so many people in the world.