“Oh man….do I HAVE to go to school today?”
It is certainly not unusual to hear this sentiment. Perhaps you have even expressed it yourself? In the United States, it is certainly easy to take for granted our access to a public education, ensuring that we learn the basic foundational blocks needed to be an independent, contributing member of society.
How quickly we also forget, basic education is NOT a given in many places around the world, including Ghana.
Mission Trip to Ghana: July 25 – August 9, 2016
A seven-member team from Westminster Church in Albany, New York will travel to Ghana on July 25 – August 9 to join with Rev. Josh Heikkila, PCUSA Mission co-worker in West Africa, and members of two Presbyterian church partners (Greenwich Meridian Church and Redemption Congregation Community Nine) who are leading mission efforts in their country. Together with these partners, Westminster is working to help transform the lives of children in some of the following ways:
- Offering scholarships for blind and/or deaf children attending two specialized schools (Akropong School for the Blind and the Demonstration School for the Deaf)
- Adding a library at the Okushibri Community School (a 3-room school that Westminster helped build, which aims to provide quality education to the children of this off-the-grid village
- Repairing and improving the crumbling floor at a school operated by the Greenwich Meridian Church in Tema
- Lighting up the classroom with solar lights in a very poor rural school in Nyitawuta, where no electricity is available
- Working to strengthen mission partnerships by developing direct relationships
We need you!
The Ghana team would like to complete funding for its trip by July 26. Here is how you can help:
ZUMBA for Ghana!
- July 2: 11am-1pm
- Join team members at Westminster Presbyterian Church
- Admission: $15/person
Kindly respond by June 30 to 518-436-8544 or email@example.com
Become a member of the Honorary Committee
Even if you are unable to attend the Zumba Party, please consider joining our Honorary Committee. Honorary committee donation levels range from $50 – $1,000.
- Give Online: www.wpcalbany.org
- Parking & donations: 85 Chestnut St. Albany 12210
- Check payable to: Westminster Church (memo line: Ghana travel team)
Lastly, but certainly VERY important, please pray for this mission and for the Holy Spirit to guide our trip.
Belinda Quaye is part of the Ghana Mission Team 2016. She and her family are members of the Westminster Presbyterian Church and she is a member of staff as the Director of Christian Education. She also is the Volunteer Coordinator at FOCUS Churches of Albany. Born in Ghana she is very excited to be going back and is looking forward to the opportunity to strengthen the partnership Westminster has with two local churches and a NGO in Tema as well as support the common goal of supporting students from low income homes achieve their dream to get an education and thereby improve “their lot” and that of their community.
The purpose of the Albany Presbytery Blog is to share information, tell stories, and promote the mission and ministry of the presbytery, synod and beyond. While the breadth of this medium is intentionally broad, it is not a platform for opinion pieces related to business coming before the presbytery unless designed as part of an initiative to provide a diversity of viewpoints at the direction of the presbytery council. Exceptions to this policy may be brought to the presbytery officers who will determine appropriateness of submissions.